Established in 1987, the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) is the nation’s largest organization exclusively representing the Black College Community. TMCF
member-schools include publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs).
Publicly-supported HBCUs enroll over 80% of all students attending HBCUs. Through scholarships, capacity building and research initiatives, innovative programs, and strategic partnerships, TMCF
is a vital resource in the K-12 and higher education spaces. The organization is also a source for top employers seeking top talent for competitive internships and good jobs.
TMCF is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, charitable organization. For more information about TMCF, visit: tmcf.org.
Top10 reasons to support the Thurgood Marshall College Fund
1. Founded in 1987, Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) has almost 35 years of supporting the Black college community.
2. A gift to TMCF impacts approximately 80% of all students attending Black colleges, as our 47 member-schools enroll almost 300,000 students which represent 2/3 of all students at these institutions.
3. 98% of TMCF awards are distributed exclusively to HBCUs & PBI, directly impacting the broader Black college and Black community.
4. TMCF is a trusted and transparent organization, having received 4 stars on Charity Navigator, and is a Guidestar Platinum Participant.
5. Your gift truly makes a difference, as 87% of our funding goes to programmatic support.
6. TMCF donors helped keep 1,153 students in school for the 2019-2020 academic year thanks to $5,750,236 awarded in scholarships.
7. TMCF is a trusted resource helping fortune 500 companies increase diversity hires.
8. TMCF has provided professional development for 12,000 students through its award-winning Leadership Institute conference.
9. TMCF prepares the next generation of workforce-ready talent and has prepared 260,000 students for career success.
10. The need for our work is critical and constantly growing, as our data indicates:
• For every student who gets a scholarship from TMCF, another seven apply who cannot be awarded funding
• For every student that attended our Leadership Institute, there were more who applied and wanted to attend
• For every $1 that TMCF invested in education, another $10 was needed in order to adequately address the plethora of needs that we see on campus
• For every student we cannot help to stay in school, there is a $1 million lifetime earnings reduction – leading to an overall negative impact on America’s economy