Nike is continuing its support of HBCUs with the latest announcement of the 2023 installment of its Yardrunners Campaign.
The annual Yardrunners series selects past and present HBCU athletes to be featured in the series. It also utilizes alumni to bring awareness to the campaign. This year marks the fourth annual installment and still keeps the mission at its roots. The goal has always been to celebrate HBCUs and their alumni with an emphasis on global sport.
For the 2023 year, the campaign theme is titled “Draft Day,” with the tagline being “Started on the Yard.”
Among the HBCU alumni that Nike partnered with for the campaign is journalist and personality Stephen A. Smith. Smith will do voice-over work for the campaign.
Sneakerheads will also be able to get their hands on five new Terminator colorways later this year. The designs are inspired by Morehouse College, Spelman College, Tuskegee University, Tennessee State University, and Alabama A&M University. All of the shoes were co-created by former Yardrunners.
This year’s chosen Yardrunners include:
- Robert Covington, Tennessee State University & Professional NBA player (Clippers)
- Cameron Lide, Winston Salem State University, Founder of @HBCUDrip
- Jawaun Daniels, Praire View A&M University & Professional Basketball Player
- Foggie Raw, Bowie State University & Poet/Artist
- Javicia Leslie, Hampton University & Actress
- Danielle Stamper, Southern University & Dance Coach at TSU
- Melanie Mitchell, Florida A&M University & Comedian/Internet personality
- Lady London, Howard University & Dej Jam Artist
- Kayla White, North Carolina A&T University & USA Track Athlete