This is exciting!
As reported on Madame Noire, five major museums will display Black artists Kehinde Wiley’s and Amy Sherald’s paintings of the Obamas. Wiley painted Barack Obama and, Sherald made one of the former First Lady.
The first stop is the Art Institute of Chicago, and the artwork will be displayed until August 15. Then the next stop is museums in Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Houston until May 2022. Take a look at the breakdown of the dates/locations reported on MN:
- The Art Institute of Chicago; Chicago—June 18, 2021–August 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Museum; Brooklyn, New York—August 27, 2021–October 24, 2021
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Los Angeles—November 7, 2021–January 2, 2022
- High Museum of Art; Atlanta—January 14, 2022–March 13, 2022
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Houston—March 27, 2022–May 30, 2022
The article notes along with the portraits, there will also be educational workshops, audio-visual elements, and curated presentations.
Time Out points out, Wiley and Sherald were “respectively commissioned to paint Barack and Michelle Obama.”
Will you be taking a trip to see the beautiful art pieces?