An electric space heater malfunctioned at a Bronx, New York, apartment and caused a horrible fire.
The tragic incident happened on January 9 in a bedroom where the space heater was being used. New York Mayor Eric Adams called the blaze “one of the worst fires in the city’s history.” It left 17 people dead, eight including children, CNN reports. In addition, over 60 people were injured.
The victims have been identified. The youngest was only two-years-old. The oldest was a 50-year-old mother. Their names are, via CBS:
- 31-year-old Isatou Jabbie
- 47-year-old Hagi Jawara
- 2-year-old Ousmane Konteh
- 27-year-old Sera Janneh
- 12-year-old Seydou Toure
- 5-year-old Haouwa Mahamadou
- 49-year-old Haji Dukary
- 37-year-old Haja Dukureh
- 12-year-old Mustapha Dukureh
- 11-year-old Mariam Dukureh
- 5-year-old Fatoumata Dukureh
- 50-year-old Fatoumata Drammeh
- 21-year-old Foutmala Drammeh
- 12-year-old Muhammed Drammeh
- 19-year-old Nyumaaisha Drammeh
- 6-year-old Omar Jambang
- 43-year-old Fatoumata Tunkara
The faces of Bronx fire victims https://t.co/ixZL2MqgG9 pic.twitter.com/jzfIRbewLv
— New York Post (@nypost) January 12, 2022
Mayor Adams said, “This is a horrific, horrific, painful moment for the city of New York, and the impact of this fire is going to really bring a level of just pain and despair in our city.”
This is a painful moment but also a purposeful one. The tragedy in the Bronx is a reminder that we are one New York and we will always come together for our neighbors.
Visit https://t.co/osJkcX5T5m for more. pic.twitter.com/3g0GaZjHGn
— Mayor Eric Adams (@NYCMayor) January 11, 2022
The publication also points out the majority of the residents were Muslim immigrants from the West African nation of The Gambia. The Red Cross reportedly provided emergency housing to 22 families, representing 56 adults and 25 children.
Here’s how you can help:
- Make a donation
- Team up with The Gambian Youth Organization – Donate clothes, volunteer, + more.
- Team up with Anthony Ave Community Garden – Donate clothes, volunteer, + more.
- Donate clothes
We are collecting donations and relief supplies to assist the families affected by the fire in the Bronx today including new clothes, gift cards, baby items, and toiletries. Donations can be dropped off at various offices and locations through Friday, January 14th. Please share! pic.twitter.com/rXC1PdBfej
— Bronx Democratic Party (@bronxdems) January 10, 2022
- Team up with Fat Joe’s donation team parented with the NYC Mayor’s fund.
My heart is saddened by the tragedy in my beloved Bronx. Please join me in supporting this community by donating to the Bronx Relief Fund at https://t.co/fcAOKJ0R6C 🙏🏽@NYCMayorsFund pic.twitter.com/bmefXyKNsn
— FAT JOE (@fatjoe) January 11, 2022
If you would like to donate items such as bottled water, blankets, pillows, clothing, coats, hats, scarves, winter shoes, towels, personal hygiene items, masks, hand sanitizer, you can at these locations:
- Monroe College at 2375 Jerome Ave.
- Riverdale Jewish Center at 3700 Independence Ave.
- Anthony Avenue Community Garden at 2078 Anthony Ave.
- Community Board 10 at 3165 E Tremont Ave.
- The Bronx Woodlawn Collective at 341 East 235th Street
- SAR Academy at 655 W. 254 Street
- Gambian Youth Organization at 214 E. 181 Street
If you need help locating a loved one:
Another drive to help people of the fire. – Everything Drive with dropoff locations at:
563 E. Tremont Ave., Bronx, NY 10457
873 E. Tremont Ave. Bronx, NY 10460
To help those affected by the Twin Parks Fire: pic.twitter.com/LvxuQGL9yT
— Ebro In The Morning (@EBROINTHEAM) January 11, 2022
The Bronx fire comes days after a fire at a Philadelphia apartment building killed 12 people, eight of whom were children. Our prayers go out to the families.